Registration is now open for this training program.
Strategic foresight is an emerging strategic capability that focuses on the creation of a deeply desirable future in the face of profoundly confusing change. It is a strategic capacity that enables persons, groups and whole societies to make (and live by) wise, context-sensitive insights and commitments while there is still time to act and make significant differences.
Foresight Canada, a SCN partner organization, is offering a new strategic foresight 2.0 training program as a once-a-month morning workshop from January to June 2016. The program is Using Strategic Foresight 2.0 at Work: the Foresight Mentality and Its Core Tools –. The program will focus on developing a strategic foresight mentality and using four of the core tools of strategic foresight 2.0.
Facilitator: Ruben Nelson, Executive Director, Foresight Canada. www.foresightcanada.com
DETAILS: Download a 4 page PDF of Using Strategic Foresight at Work
START DATE: Wednesday, January 13, 2016
TIME: Doors open at 8:00 AM for networking and a light breakfast. The Training Program starts at 8:30 and runs until noon, with appropriate breaks.
SIZE: This training program is limited to 18 persons.
FEES: Normal fee $2,400 + 5% GST. Members of SCN, HRIA, CPA Alberta and Foresight Canada’s network may register at $1,600 + 5% GST.
TO REGISTER: Visit www.scnetwork.ca and click on the heading of this program or leave a message at 403.217.2989.
FURTHER INFORMATION: Contact Ruben Nelson: 888-673-3537 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Using Strategic Foresight 2.0 at Work: The Foresight Mentality and Its Core Tools
A Foresight Canada strategic foresight training program
By now, we all know that we need to be better prepared to cope with an increasingly complex and ambiguous future. However, easier said than done. The facts are that we in Alberta, as organizations and a province, have been surprised far too often by unforeseen twists of history.
The root trouble is this: Our imagination and what we think we know run counter to reality – we don’t even think about, much less prepare for, any future we can’t or won’t imagine. And, this blindness to potential emerging futures is costing us billions as it harms our reputation and erodes lives, businesses, communities and the environment.
We envision a time when Albertans have learned to foresee and consciously shape their future; a time when, while there is still time to do so, we avoid the steepest costs of change and capitalize on the opportunities hidden in a tumultuous world; a time when we are leading future makers; no longer future takers.
Our strategic intention is to achieve this vision (1) by stretching our imaginations, hearts and minds until we can foresee and encompass the full range of potential futures and (2) by developing our personal, organizational and societal capacities to see and shape futures that embody our deepest desires and highest aspirations.
This program – Using Strategic Foresight at Work: The Foresight Mentality and Its Core Tools provides a solid grounding in the most current version of strategic foresight – Strategic Foresight 2.0. It is taught and facilitated by Ruben Nelson, Canada’s most widely-experienced teacher and practitioner of Strategic Foresight 2.0.
Strategic Foresight 2.0
Strategic Foresight 2.0 is a personal, group and societal capacity/culture – one that enables its practitioners to make and live by the wise and context-sensitive commitments that lead to the co-creation of a deeply desirable future and to do so while there is still time to act and make significant differences.
By the end of this program, you will:
- Understand the nature of and case for practicing the most current version of strategic foresight.
- Have begun to develop the mentality/capabilities of a practitioner of strategic foresight.
- Be able to use and work with these core foresight tools:
- Paradigmatic Analysis,
- Causal Layered Synthesis,
- Causal Relationships Mapping,
- Strategic Background Conditions.
- Title: Using Strategic Foresight at Work: The Foresight Mentality and Its Core Tools.
- Timing: Six morning sessions, one a month.
- Time Commitment: Six morning sessions 08:30 to 12:00. Plus preparation for each session.
- Dates: January 13, February 17, March 16, April 13, May 18, June 15. These dates will only change with the agreement of the participants.
- Focal Question: What mentality and tools will enable me to use Strategic Foresight 2.0 at work and do so routinely and effectively?
- The Boy Scouts have it right: In a dynamic, complex and human world, surprises are inevitable. One must be prepared for almost anything. Being blindsided is always worse than mishandling something you see coming.
- Notionally, we know this. None of us disagrees.
- However, in practical terms, as organizations and a culture, we are still organized for yesterday. Most folks and firms still rely on inherited and embedded insights, metaphors, attitudes, aspirations and structures – habits of hand, heart and mind that no longer alert us to or connect us with emerging realities.
- Therefore, as persons, organizations and a whole society, over and over again, we have been surprised by events in the 21st Most of these surprises have cost us dearly – financially, physically and psychologically. Consider: not seeing BSE coming to Alberta, the “discovery” that we need pipelines through others’ territories to get oil/gas to market, the “surprise” of American resistance to the XL pipeline, the “surprise” of the 2013 flood, the timid response to climate disruption, the “surprising” end of the PC dynasty, the “surprise” of oil at $45 a barrel, and the emerging reality that Canadian aboriginals are full citizens with real rights.
- In hindsight, we can see that these surprises and their costs are self-inflicted wounds. The enemy truly is us. We have been unwilling to take seriously that we live in profoundly changing times; to invest the money and effort to see where the puck is going. Rather, we have let ourselves off the hook by claiming that “no one could have imagined, much less foreseen” the realities that have overrun us.
- As it turn out, this claim is false. We simply have not made the efforts and investments required to learn to read the signs of the times, and thereby reduce the shock and cost of our surprise.
- Failures of operation planning can cost us millions. Failures of strategic planning can cost us hundreds of millions. Failures of strategic foresight typically cost us billions. Yet we invest most on operational planning and least on strategic foresight.
- We need to invest in and utilize strategic foresight. And do so routinely.
- Participation: Each session will include some formal teaching and a good deal of minds/hearts/hands-on practice. Each session will end with an assignment – something to think about before the next session.
- Project: Each participant will be required to capture and present his/her key strategic insights to his/her home organization or some other appropriate group.
- Price Reduction for SCN Members: SCN members may participate at a price that is 1/3 off.
Thematic Focus of each of the Six Sessions
- An Introduction to Strategic Foresight 2.0 and the mentality it requires.
- Developing your foresight mentality/capacities by using Paradigmatic Analysis and Causal Layered Synthesis.
- Developing your foresight mentality/capacities by using Causal Relationships Mapping.
- Developing your foresight mentality/capacities by working with Strategic Background Conditions.
- Developing your foresight mentality/capacities by using Foresight Canada’s Whole Systems Governance Onion.
Note that between sessions 5 and 6 each participant will prepare her/his key insights into Strategic Foresight 2.0 and present them to a suitable group.
- Developing your foresight mentality/capacities by a reflexive review of the training sessions and the presentations.
- Fees include a light continental breakfast, morning breaks, course material, instruction and Fuze-based tutoring between sessions. (Fuze is a group communications software.)
- Members of SCN Calgary, HRIA and CPA Alberta are eligible for a 1/3 reduction of the fee.
- Fees to be paid to and administered by SCN Calgary.
- Normal fee: $2,400.00 + 5% GST
- Special Members rate: $1,600.00 + 5% GST